Tusk has teamed up with Different Travel to offer an exciting new challenge in Africa, which will include an opportunity to see our work on the ground, as well as some amazing wildlife and incredible scenery.
The challenge will be to take on a four-day trek through the stunning landscapes of the Rwenzori Mountains National Park in Southwest Uganda. This UNESCO World Heritage site was once considered a source of the River Nile and is home to high biodiversity including 54 endemic species. It is also home to Mount Stanley, which at an impressive 5,109m, is Africa’s third highest mountain.
The four-day trek will be challenging, and not to be underestimated, but extremely rewarding as you gradually ascend to Mutinda Lookout and its breath-taking panoramas from 3,975m. Along the way you will discover diverse flora and fauna, and enjoy views of craggy and glaciated mountain peaks, gushing waterfalls and meandering rivers.
Following the trek, the trip will include a visit to Queen Elizabeth National Park, which is known for its wildlife, including elephant, lion, hippo, buffalo, and large herds of Ugandan kob. Tusk’s local partner the Uganda Conservation Foundation supports the Uganda Wildlife Authority’s efforts to protect this park, and you will have the chance to learn more about their work and how your fundraising efforts will make a difference.
- Day 1, Saturday 22nd January 2022 – overnight flight from UK to Uganda
- Day 2, Sunday 23rd Jan – Drive to Kasese
- Day 3, Monday 24th Jan – Trek Day 1, to Sine Hut at 2,596m
- Day 4, Tuesday 25th Jan – Trek Day 2, to Mutinda Lookout at 3,975m, camping at Mutinda Camp (3,588m)
- Day 5, Wednesday 26th Jan – Trek Day 3, to Kiharo Camp (3,430m)
- Day 6, Thursday 27th Jan – Trek Day 4, the descent and travel to Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Day 7, Friday 28th Jan – Visit to Queen Elizabeth National Park and Uganda Conservation Foundation
- Day 8, Saturday 29th Jan – Return to Kampala
- Day 9, Sunday 30th Jan – Return flight to UK
The total cost for the trip is £1,850, on top of which you are asked to fundraise at least £1,500 for Tusk. A £300 deposit is payable at the time of booking, and a payment plan can be arranged to spread the cost of the balance. The cost includes return flights from London, all transfers and transport in Uganda, accommodation, meals, guides, trek fees and permits.
For an extra cost, if there is sufficient demand, the trip can include a 3-day extension to visit the mountain gorillas of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and the work of another Tusk-supported project, Conservation Through Public Health.
For more information please contact Hannah for an information pack.This trip is operated by The Different Travel Company (ATOL 6706). The flights are financially protected by the ATOL scheme. When you pay you will be supplied with an ATOL Certificate. Please ask for it and check to ensure that everything you booked (flights, hotels and other services) is listed on it. Please see our booking conditions for further information or for more information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go to: www.caa.co.uk.